It’s day 5 and I’m feeling well! I have energy and honestly, no cravings. And, I’ve lost 6 lbs! Though the weight loss is great, I’m most excited that my stomach feels better. I’ve suffered from a mildly upset stomach for weeks and nothing else has helped.
The first 3 days were rough. By rough I mean I was irritable, tired, and wanted to chew on anything that wasn’t a plant. At one point in time I considered tree bark and/or a piece of leather, specifically a leather belt. But then I recalled learning that during the Civil War, food was so scarce that soldiers chewed on tree bark. This knowledge gave me a little perspective on my situation. Besides, I’m not quite sure how to make tree bark palatable.
I’m a carnivore, plain and simple. I don’t discriminate between chicken, beef, pork or fish. I love them all! I especially love Slim Jims which probably doesn’t qualify as a meat to anyone else, except me. My favorite food is fried chicken loaded with salt, or crab legs, or butter chicken, or fried pork chops, or lobster, or anything spicy. Shit. I don’t know. I love food. Like I said, I was irritable and had cravings on days 1-3, but day 4 was great and day 5, so far, is good, too.
The recipe on day 4 called for 2 cups of peaches. To lessen the amount of sugar, I only added 1-1/2 cup of peaches and added an extra 1/2 cup of mixed berries to the recipe. Peaches are yummy but high in sugar. The flavor of the smoothie was slightly more tart but satisfying.
I really mastered assembling the smoothies on day 4. In my kitchen is a small personal blender that I picked up from Wal-Mart for $17 bucks a year or so ago. It has barely been used, until now. Because I don’t have a fancy blender, even though I want one, the personal blender works fine. In case you want to know how to make these smoothies with a personal blender, here’s what I do.
- Only use one cup of water, or even less with half of your greens.
- Blend a solid into the newly blended green juice. For example, if the recipe calls for 2 cups of blueberries, go ahead and add one cup to the small amount of green juice you just blended.
- If there is still enough liquid to sustain more solid, try to blend another solid. If not, empty what you’ve blended into mixing bowl, pitcher, or large measuring cup.
- Repeat step one with your empty blender cup, dumping all ingredients into the larger bowl when ready. Don’t forget to add your flax-seed or protein!
- Once you’ve added all the blended items to your large bowl, mix them up with a spoon.
- Now, comes the storage part. Once I’ve stirred the mixture fairly well, I pour some into the blender again and blend, then pour it into whatever I’m going to store it in.
I’ve found that large mouth mason jars work best. I also fill up a couple of jelly jars for afternoon and evening snacks. I know I can use the actual blender containers for storage but I find them more difficult to clean when I’m unable to rinse them out right away. Also, there are two of us working on this cleanse at the same time so I didn’t want to monopolize the blending equipment.
If anyone is confused about how I use a personal blender, I would be happy to do a video tutorial. Just let me know!